Just in time for PC-BSD & FreeBSD 10.2 (coming soon), the Lumina desktop has been updated to version 0.8.6! This version contains a number of updates for non-English users (following up all the new translations which are now available), as well as a number of important bug-fixes, and support for an additional FreeDesktop specification. The PC-BSD “Edge” packages have already been updated to this version and the FreeBSD ports tree will be getting this update very soon as well.
Changes Since 0.8.5:
- Add the ability to set system-locale overrides (used on login), allowing the user to “mix” locale settings for the various outputs.
- Add the ability for the user to switch the locale of the current session on the fly (all locale settings changed for the current session only), and these settings will be used when launching any applications later.
- Fix up the translation mechanisms of the Lumina interface, so everything will instantly get re-translated to the new locale.
- More languages are now fully translated! Make sure to install the x11/lumina-i18n port or pkg to install the localizations and enable all these new features!
- Add support for the “Actions” extension to the XDG Desktop specifications.
- This allows applications to set a number of various “actions” (alternate startup routines) within their XDG desktop registration file.
- These actions are shown within Lumina as new sub-menus within the Applications menu as well as in the User button (look for the down arrow next to the application icon).
- Change the Lumina OSD to a different widget – allowing it to be shown much faster.
- Add new “_ifexists” functionality to any session options in luminaDesktop.conf. This allows the distributor to more easily setup default applications (browser, email, etc..) through an intelligent tree of options (which may or may not be installed).
- Bug Fixes
- Apply a work-around for new users which fixes a bug in Fluxbox where the virtual desktop windows could still be changed/closed by various Fluxbox keyboard shortcuts. If an existing user wants to apply this fix, you need to replace your ~/.lumina/fluxbox-keys file with the new Lumina default (/usr/local/share/Lumina-DE/fluxbox-keys) – which will overwrite any custom keyboard shortcuts you had previously setup.
- Fix some bugs in the new window detection/adjustment routines – fixing up issues with full-screen apps that change around the X session settings to suit their own temporary needs.
- Fix a couple bugs with the automatic detection/load routines for the new QtQuick plugins.
- Add in the “Ctrl-X” keyboard shortcut for cutting items in the Insight file manager.
- Fix up the active re-loading of icons when the user changes the icon theme.