Since the founding of the Lumina desktop project, one of the most common questions I get asked is: “I am not a programmer, but how can I help out?” Well today I would like to open up a new method of contributing for those of you that are graphically-inclined: the creation of a brand new icon theme for the Lumina desktop!
This new icon theme will adhere to the FreeDesktop specifications for registering an icon theme, and the good news is that I have already handled all the administrative setup/framework for you so that all you need to do to contribute is basically just send in icon files!
Here are the highlights for the new theme:
- Included within the main Lumina source repository
- All icons will be licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Public License. This is comparable to the 3-clause BSD license, but specifically for static images/files (whereas the BSD license is for source code).
- This will be a high-contrast, high-resolution, fully-scalable (SVG) theme.
- The general concept is a white foreground, with a black outline/shadow around the icon, and colorized emblems/overlays for distinguishing between similar icons (“folder” vs “folder-network” for instance). We are going for a more professional/simple look to the icons since tiny image details generally do not scale as well across the range we are looking at.
The details on how to contribute an icon to the theme are listed on the repository page as well, but here is the summary:
- Icons which are still needed are listed in the TODO.txt files within each directory.
- Submit the icon file via git pull request
- Add an entry for your icon/submission to the AUTHORS file (to ensure each contributor gets proper credit for their work)
- Remove the icon from the appropriate TODO.txt file/list
If you are not familiar with git or how to send git pull requests, feel free to email me the icon file(s) you want to contribute and I can add them to the source tree for you (and update the AUTHORS/TODO files as necessary). Just be sure to include your full name/email so we can give you the proper credit for your work (if you care about that).
As an added bonus since we don’t have any actual icons yet (just the general guidelines), the first contributor to send in some icons will get to help decide the overall look-n-feel of the icon theme!
 FreeDesktop Specifications